NoHo East Designation Report - New York City Landmarks Commission

The area defined as NoHo III encompasses the still extant and last remaining stock of homes built on the Astor purchased and developed land in the 1830’s. 

Included in NoHo III are four individually designated Landmarks:  The Bowerie Bank, The Merchants House Museum, The Skidmore House and the Beaux-Arts Fire Station, Engine 33, Ladder 9.  Along Bond Street are four original Row Houses erected in the 1830’s by the Wagstaffs, Loweries, Roosevelts and De Forrests.  The prominent mid-Nineteenth Century attorney, politician and developer Siegrfeid Mayer and his law firm Weil & Mayer, also credited with building several hundred tenement buildings on Monroe, Lewis and Cherry Streets replacing the “rookeries” of the infamous “Five Points,” built distinctive Romanesque store and manufacturing loft buildings at 20 Bond St., 50 Bond St., 30 Great Jones St., and 47 Great Jones St..  Each of these were designed in the 1890’s by architects Cleverdon & Putzel of Astor Place.  Cleverdon & Putzel’s other New York City works include The Astor Building at 583 Broadway in the Cast Iron District, 5-25 East 94th St. in the Carnegie Hill Historic District, row houses in the distinguished West 76th St. Historic District as well as a row of loft buildings (now converted to lofts) featured in the AIA Guide on East 12th St.

We can add to this notable inventory the mid-section of Shinbone Alley, the north and south of which are in the NoHo I and NoHo II (East) landmark districts, 31 Great Jones St. part of the original estate of Ferdinand.T. Hopkins, cosmetic manufacturer and philanthropist from the 1880’s to his death in 1920.  Stables, built in 1870, which remain, beautifully restored at 31 and 33 Great Jones St., are still inscribed with their operators names:  Beineke Corp. and Jos. Scott Tkgn. Corp.




52 Bond St. shown on the far right of the picture in 1857, was built between 1836 and 1838.  Thirty five years later (1873-74) the Bond St. Savings Bank (Bowerie Lane Theater), 330 Bowery, designed by Harry Engelbert, would be built on the lot East of this address. [1]


[1] The research for the previous four paragraphs was collected by the Historic District Council from New York City Landmark Commission documents in their already existing files on NoHo.  Supplemental sources were added from The AIA Guide to New York City, fourth edition,.