Home

History

News

Landmarks

Arts & Culture

Maps & Plans

Activist Links

Inquiries

 

 

 

 


Old and New Design
Photo Credits:  Stan Ries, Ed Grazda, Zella Jones, Curbed.com, Tom Fletcher

 

 

Individual LANDMARKS

Bayard Condict Building, 65 -69 Bleecker St. 

Designed by Louis Sullivan; Lyndon P. Smith associate architect, 1897-99.  New York's only work by Louis Sullivan. Illustrates Sullivan's ideas on skyscraper design.  The 12-story structure is a steel frame  structure clad in white terrra cota with six vertical bays of facade.  The building is divided horizontally into three sections.  Restoration began  in 1996 under guidance of Wank Adams Slavin Architects.

Bayard Condust Entrance Detail
Photographer:  Stan Ries

Robbins & Appleton Building, 1-5 Bond St.

Designed by Stephen Decatur Hatch, 1879-80.  French, Second Empire Cast Iron commercial structure erected as a factory for a firm that manufactured watch cases.

 1-5: A Second Empire classic from 1880. Robbins made watch cases and Appleton was a prominent publisher. The building now houses the Art Store.

No. 5 was the site of Albert Gallatinís home; Gallatin was Jefferson and Madisonís treasury secretary and the founder of NYU.

 

Robbins and Appleton Bldg.

 

 

 


See also: http://www.nyc-architecture.com/LES/LES034.htm

Bond St. Savings Bank (Bowerie Lane Theater), 330 Bowery. 

Designed by Harry Engelbert, 1873-74.  A theater since 1963, and since 1974 the home of the Jean Cocteau Repertory, a leading Off-Broadway company. The landmark 1874 cast-iron building, by Henry Engelbert, was originally the Atlantic Savings Bank; later the Bond Street Savings Bank and the German Exchange Bank.

Bowerie Lane Theater

Fire Engine Company No.33, 44 Great Jones St.

Designed by Flagg & Chambers, 1898-99.  "A Beaux-Art Firehouse, it is one of the grandest small-scale civic buildings in New York City, "says The Guide to New York City Landmarks.

Detailed description at:
http://www.nyc-architecture.com/LES/LES031.htm

 

 


Photographer:  Stan Ries

Schermerhorn Building, 376-380 Lafayette St. 

Designed by Henry Hardenbergh, 1888-89.  Varied materials and colors and wide segmentally arched openings, this corner building is among New York's most monumental commercial structures of the 1880s.  Schermerhorn rented the new building to a manufacturer of boys' clothing.

Detailed description at:
http://www.nyc-architecture.com/LES/LES033.htm

Schermerhorn Building
Photographer:  Stan Ries

Merchant's House Museum, (Seabury Tredwell House), 29 East 4th St.. 

 

"Of the estimated 300 Federal houses in Manhattan,the best preserved, inside and out, is the 171-year-old Merchant's House Museum." David Dunlap, The New York Times

Incredibly detailed description at:
http://www.nyc-architecture.com/LES/LES017.htm

Old Merchants House

Samuel Tredwell Skidmore House, 37 East 4th St.  Built in 1845.

 

 
De Vinne Press Building, 393-399 Lafayette St.. 

Designed by Babb, Cook & Willard, 1885-86; addition 1890-92.

Incredibly detailed description at:
http://www.nyc-architecture.com/LES/LES032.htm


 

Astor Library, now Joseph Papp Public Theater, 425 Lafayette St.

Incredibly detailed description at:
http://www.nyc-architecture.com/LES/LES024.htm

La Grange Terrace (Colonade Row), 428, 430,432,and 434 Lafayette St.  Attributed to Seth Greer, 1832-33.

Incredibly detailed description at: 
http://www.nyc-architecture.com/LES/LES026.htm

Photo courtesy of:  http://www.nyc-architecture.com/LES/LES.htm

Cooper Union

Though not strictly in NoHo, this incredible structure and its history are integral to NoHo architecture and history.

For a highly detailed description visit:
http://www.nyc-architecture.com/LES/LES025.htm

 

www.NoHoManhattan.org
Last Update: 
02/14/2014
© 2011
 Market by Market Communications, Zella Jones, Principal
www.marketxmarket.com